Friday 15 August 2014

Not your average Churros


Easy Bake!


This post is a lesson in determination. I have always wanted to make churros. From the first time I ever had them at Costco, it was love at first bite. The crunchy sweet cinnamon sticks with that super soft inside. Churros are actually very simple to make and the ingredient list has a grand total of 5 ingredients. All you need is the dough, hot oil and you’re good to go.....I know they are not baked, but they are easy

These churros are not your average due to a slight little variation in the method. Traditionally churros are piped into the hot oil using a cake designer piping tube with a large star tip, or a very heavy duty piping bag with the same large star tip. I ran into a few difficulties.



  •   The star tip I had was much too small, the churros were coming out smaller than a fry
  •  Aside from the star tip, my piping bags were not strong enough to manage the thick dough. I ripped two bags

So I came up with my own solution. I just rolled them into the shape by hand and used a fork to create the ridges, simple! They fried up quite nicely.  To be honest the fork thing isn’t even that necessary, I just wanted to create some  form of ridges so that the cinnamon sugar would have more surface area to cling to.




Ingredients (printable recipe)
1 ½ cup water
3 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon salted butter
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
Oil for deep frying
 cinnamon sugar mix (1 cup sugar 2 tablespoon cinnamon powder)




 Greedy tips:

  • Make sure the oil is between 375 and 390 degrees
  • Fry them until they are golden brown and float to the top
  • Once out of the oil let them rest for about 5 to 10 seconds before rolling in the sugar, make sure to roll in the cinnamon sugar when they are hot so it sticks, if you allow them to cool too much the sugar won’t stick as well. 


Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment