One thing I can appreciate about this recipe is its perceived level of difficulty. Once you serve this people will be wondering how on earth did you make it. Little would they know that the dough is store bought and there are only 6 other ingredients needed in addition to the dough. I will admit it’s not a simple as the pear oatmeal crumble, but it’s still pretty easy. Anyone can make this.
I can say with a certainty that this is my favorite recipe of the month, and the month isn’t even over yet. I can’t take credit for this ingenious idea, as I saw this on Instagram; baking an apple pie in an actual apple, what a great idea. Most apple pies lose their tartness in favor of the cinnamon and sweetness; they tend to lose the natural tartness of the apple. However with the sweet cinnamon filling mixed with the fresh baked apple, you get the best of both worlds with this treat.
The recipe yields a very creamy and gooey apple pie filling. Some apple pie fillings tent to be a bit runnier. If you’re a fan of a juicier apple pie filling then you would cut down on the flour used. However I think a runny filling for this method of preparation would be less than ideal. The butter flour and sugar come together with the apple and cinnamon to make an incredible texture for the filling.
We don’t have a full house anymore, so I only made three of these. The filling could stuff at least 4 apples
Ingredients (printable recipe)
½ cup sugar
½ cup flour
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoon melted butter (salted)
½ sheet of puff pastry
Few sprinkles of flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the tops off the apples, using a melon baller scoop out 80% of the insides not coming too close to the skin
- Rub the apples with the lime to prevent it from browning and squeeze some lime juice on the cored insides
- Remove the seeds from what was scooped out, and chop finely. Also chop the apple tops
- Mix apples, sugar, flour cinnamon and butter in a dish until all the apples are evenly coated
- Spoon the mixture back into the hollow apples. Make sure to pack it down tightly
- Roll out the puff pastry in a lightly flowered surface and cut thin strips with a sharp knife
- Place the strips in the apple top in a lattice pattern each apple uses about 8 thin strips 4 in either direction
- Place apples in a baking dish and fill with water half way up the apple
- Cover with a foil paper and cook for 20 minutes in the oven
- After the 20 minutes remove the foil, raise the temp to 375 and bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes the puff pastry will puff up and be golden brown
- Remove from water filled dish and cool for 5-8 minutes before serving