Friday 24 October 2014

Asian turkey stuffed squash



“Pumpkin Everythang”


No one told me that during gourd season there were so many different varieties in the grocery store. Usually I’m in Jamaica during this time and we have one pumpkin, green skinned yellow flesh nothing new. However I waltz into stop and shop expecting to pick up a normal slice and the only thing I recognized in the pile was some butternut squash. I mean they had dimples, bumps, weird curves, some were purple, and they truly looked like something out of this world. Even though most are bitter and inedible, all I kept thinking was how hard they must be to peel. I picked up my two squashed and headed home to stuff them.

 I originally wanted to stuff these with some smoked pork sausage and apples, however my sister recently stopped eating pork after witnessing them being slaughtered and hearing their cries. So I opted for an Asian style turkey sauté. Ginger soy sauce and loads of scallions stuffed into the slightly hollowed squash and baked.

It is really a quick easy and delicious meal. Not your usual way of having turkey in the thanksgiving season.  I love that the juices from the turkey sauté soak into the flesh of the squash as its baking. But if you choose to you can always bake the squash separately as well.






2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon butter
½ cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 lb ground turkey
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 cup chopped scallion greens
1 tablespoon honey
2 squash or pumpkins seeds removed.





Greedy tip:
  • Let’s say you have left over turkey from thanksgiving. Follow the recipe the same way using the thanksgiving turkey meat. However bake the squash separately and then stuff with the turkey sauté after the squash is fully cooked. 


Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment