I am yet again reminded of how annoying it is to cook food for this blog in a kitchen other than my own. My sister begged me to make this recipe while I was in NY and not in Jamaica, so I obliged. Who doesn’t love a good pot pie? This one is not baked into a corn muffin like my last one, but is full of pumpkin goodness; the filling is much thicker than normal because I used an entire can of pumpkin puree in addition to fresh pumpkins. The curry, the chicken and all the veggies along with the crust makes for a lovely meal.
My sister and I have always been avid chicken pot pie lovers. We tend to make them ourselves rather than store bought. However I remember in college we had the best chicken pot pie ever from SUNY Old Westbury cafeteria. It’s funny because the food at the school (at the time we were dorming there) left much to be desired. You always went inside with your hopes up only to be let down. However we got off from classes early and dropped by for lunch once and as we walked in the man put down a tray of chicken pot pie with biscuit topping and it is probably the best chicken pot pie I have ever had ever! We tried to go back so many times and they never served it again, or maybe we just never got lucky again.
This pot pie is quite good, very creamy and I especially love the fact that the pumpkin flavor stands out even amidst a bold flavor like curry. As for the crust, I contemplated a biscuit topping, but seeing as the filling was very rich and thick; it needed a lighter flaky crust and not a heavy thick biscuit. It almost tastes like a Jamaican chicken patty in a way. My sister commented that this almost doesn’t need the chicken. I made one dish of this pot pie and by the end of the night there was one slice left
Ingredients (printable recipe)
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon curry powder
1 cup onion
½ cup celery
½ cup carrot
2 tablespoon flour
1 ½ cup milk
2 chicken breast (seasoned with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper)
1 cup chopped raw pumpkin
1 can pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup corn
½ cup peas
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Chop chicken into cubes and season with salt and black pepper
- Chop onion, celery, pumpkin, carrot and mushrooms
- Heat oil and butter in a pot, add curry and cook for a minute
- Add celery onion and carrot and sauté until tender
- Add flour and cook until incorporated
- Pour in milk and stir until the flour butter has dissolved
- Turn flame on low and add chicken and pumpkins cover for 3 minutes to allow them to begin to cook
- Add the pumpkin puree and stir until fully incorporated then season with salt
- Add the mushrooms peas and corn and stir cover for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Prepare the pie dish by layering the bottom with the first dough
- Fill the dish with the curry chicken and pumpkin filling
- Cover with the second pie crust, seals and crimp the edges
- Bake for 45 minutes covering the crimped edges with foil after the first 15 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
- For an even more flaky and puffy crust, use puff pastry sheets instead of pie crust sheets.
Xoxo Greedy Girl