"Christmas is coming"
If I had to rank potato cooking methods in order of deliciousness, mashed potatoes would be in my top three. A dish of mashed potatoes is one of the best side dishes and sweet mashed potatoes are even more so. And when I say sweet potatoes, I'm not referring to the Jewel or Garnet yams. In Jamaica we have very starchy red skinned fibrous sweet potato, similar to Japanese sweet potatoes (however the flesh is a pale mustard yellow not white). This savory dish is perfect for your Christmas table. This recipe was totally by accident and I'm so glad I stumbled upon it.
In May, I posted quite a few breakfast and brunch recipes. One Saturday I filmed a delicious Croque-Madame with a cheesy thyme béchamel sauce. The following day was Sunday and we were making chicken and mashed sweet potatoes for dinner. Since I had a fair amount of béchamel left over in the refrigerator, I had the bright idea of blending it with the potatoes. The resulting was the most delicious sweet mashed potatoes ever. The garlic, parmesan and thyme are the perfect complement to the sweet potatoes. It’s creamy and smooth and goes extremely well with poultry, beef, pork or seafood. I have made it several times since then, another recipe here in the family to stay.
Ingredients (printable recipe)
3 large sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon flour
1 ¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon Thyme
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 Garlic cloves shredded
- Place a pot of water to boil with the salt and sugar
- Peel the potatoes and slice each into large chunks
- Place potatoes in the water and cook until they are tender, strain and set aside
- In a saucepan melt the butter and add the flour cook until they are fully incorporated
- Add milk and stir until it begins to thicken
- Reduce the heat to very low add thyme, black pepper, salt, cheese and shredded garlic
- Stir until everything is incorporated and the sauce coats a spoon
- In a food processor place the cooked sweet potatoes and the béchamel sauce and whip until smooth
- You can’t mash sweet potato by hand as you would regular potatoes. You have to cream them in a food processor or blender because sweet potatoes are very stringy and trashy if not blended correctly.
- You can make the béchamel sauce ahead of time and store in the refrigerator.