If you are a lover of seafood this place comes as no surprise. Little Ochie in Alligator Pond is a seafood institution. My family has been dining at this establishment for years. Their menu is extensive and the seafood items available for you to dine on is equally so. My favorite dish here has got the be the brown stew fish with the bammie cooked in the brown stew gravy. But that's for another greedy girl eats. Today I will be reviewing their escovitch fish.
Escovitch fish is really just a well-seasoned fish fried crispy and topped with a spicy pickle sauce. The sauce is full of vinegar, onions, pimento, hot peppers and carrots. This sauce can be made and left to soak for months, even years and still be delicious. The longer it soaks the better the flavor.
The third restaurant I will review is Little Ochie Seafood Specialist .
Name: Little Ochie Seafood Specialist
The best thing in my opinion about little ochie is that you hand pick the fish, lobster, shrimp or whatever you choose to have. As you walk in there is a large deep freezer keeping the fish chilled. (the temp bust be low because the fish do not freeze) all different types of fish arranged by size and type. You pick out the ones you want and have it weighed. Then you pay for the fish then tell the cooks how you want it prepared and with what sides. Depending on the size of your fish and the volume of your order you will be eating anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes later.
I only ordered three small fishes fried so in 15 minutes I was eating. I remember as a child we use to love sitting in the fisherman boats to eat. The the most creative use of old boats, turn them into seating.
Seasoning: 9 almost perfect seasoning!
Consistency: 9 They are pretty consistent with the quality of food.
Pickle: 7 for me the vinegar used in their pickle is too pungent
Crispiness: 9 lovely crunch on the fish
Fish freshness: 10 Fish is always fresh, and tender never old and tough
Hiccups: 0 You get what you want how you want it
Total score 44/50 or 88%
|My blue parrot fish and on the left two small butter fish (with the red polka-dots)|
- Again If you are afraid of lizards do not go to this place at night. Lizards flock their wooden roof structures at nights when the lights are on. But during the day the place is reptile free.
- I guess its human nature to pick the largest thing available, but I do not recommend that when it comes to the fish. I always see persons take these huge 3 and 2 lb fishes. However I would not go over a 1 lb fish. Even 1 lb is a bit much I go for smaller sized fished because they are...
- Easier to cook, you get your food quicker
- Its cheaper since they charge by weight.
- And you can actually finish the entire fish in one sitting (sometimes the left overs are not as great)
Remember this review is JUST for the escovitch fish, not for their entire menu. For me the brown stew fish at Little Ochie is my favorite, and their festivals are pretty awesome too.