Friday 16 January 2015

Chocolate fig & bacon grilled cheese


"Feast of Saint Valentine"


Dark chocolate, fig, bacon, parmesan and jalapeno cheddar grilled cheese…Where do I start with this sandwich?  After the s’mores sandwich I felt like I wanted to test the waters with a salty/sweet chocolate sandwich. And for some reason my mind went to bacon. I have seen on the internet bacon dipped chocolate all over the place, so I knew right away that bacon and chocolate could potentially be heavenly. But adding cheese to the mix was a whole new frontier, and it is perfect bliss in your mouth.
 
I had to make a quick check on google to see what advances were made in the world of chocolate grilled cheese sandwiches; turns out there are many recipes. Mostly using berries, brie or mascarpone cheese.  I wanted a nice balance of sweet and salty I was really happy that on my latest grocery store haul I picked up some jalapeno cheddar and dried figs. I decided to use these in the sandwich along with some Parmesan and bacon for that added salty kick.

The sandwich is soooo good. The bread had the perfect crunch with the warm gooey spicy cheese, salty bacon, and the sweet fig and chocolate. I thought the chocolate wings were my favorite of chocolate month so far but this sandwich gave me life. Even my picky cousin Marisol liked  it (even though she took out a few figs) Its great using either regular or turkey bacon, I had both…a must try!



Makes 2 large sandiwches


4 dried figs (sliced)
¼ cup plus 2 table spoons water
6 squares Hershey special Dark chocolate
4 tablespoon butter
4 slices of thick bread  (I used a round french bread)
½  cup shredded jalapeno cheddar
½  cup shredded parmesan
6 strips crispy bacon (any type)






Greedy tips:

  • What you can also do if you don’t like to chew the figs, blend the fig and chocolate together to form a nice chocolate fig spread.  I think next time that what I would do that.
  • If your in Jamaica… I used the Purity brand whole wheat French bread
  • If your in Jamaica…The jalapeno cheddar I purchased in Mega Mart


Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment