Tuesday 20 January 2015

Brownie cookies


"Feast of Saint Valentine"


I have made quite a few cookies, but this one right here?....arguably the best cookies I have ever made in my life. It’s no secret that I love my cookies chewy. Not thin, not crispy, not big, but thick and chewy.  Last year I tweaked Alton browns cookie recipe and came up with a superb chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. This years cookie just might have beaten the superstar of last year’s chocolate month. It is divine, if you love chocolate, or cookies you must attempt to make these!

 You know how everyone loves the corner brownies because you get the extra crispy bits mixed in the chewy center? That’s what this cookie reminds me off. Initially in my mind while baking them, they were just chocolate chocolate-chip cookies. But after tasting it I said this is a brownie disguised as a cookie.  The center is perfection and the outsides are crispy.




The recipe makes 24 cookies, of varying shapes and sizes if you’re like me. They don’t spread too wide and thin they stay relatively thick. When I scoop mine onto the pan I don’t try to make them neat I just let the chips fall as they may. So my cookies look more like cousins than brothers and sisters. Delicious none the less, and as usual the method for this is very important, all steps playing their part. I would definitely not skip the refrigeration stage or over bake them. Alton taught me well!




Makes 24 cookies



Ingredients (Printable recipe)

2 stick salted butter melted
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
½  cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ¾  cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 table spoon molasses
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 oz milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips


Instructions


  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
  • Melt butter in the microwave
  • Combine cocoa powder, baking soda and flour in a bowl
  • Blend the butter and sugar together in a mixer about 5-8 minutes
  • In another dish whisk eggs, milk, molasses and vanilla
  • Add the liquid mixture to the butter and sugar mix, blend till incorporated
  • Then add the cocoa flour mixture , mix until incorporated then stop (few seconds)
  • Scrape down the bowl, add in the chocolate chips, mix until incorporated then stop (few seconds)
  • Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes  (1 hour best)
  • After an hour scoop cookies unto a prepared sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes 
  • After 10 minutes remove from oven and allow to rest on the hot sheet pan for 5 minutes
  • After the 5 minutes transfer them to a cooling rack to completely cool









Greedy Tips:


  • You must stick to the baking times EXACTLY!
  • They say the darker the brown sugar the chewier the cookie
  • After the 10 minutes your cookies will be underdone, but resting on the hot sheet pan for 5 minutes will allow the centers to cook to perfection....and I do mean perfection!

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment