Tuesday 24 March 2015

Cedar planked salmon with bacon onion jam


Something Smells Fishy...


I find it so funny how I am constantly cooking salmon, the fish that I hated not so long ago. I am constantly on a quest to cook it in different ways, each being better than the last. Not to sound like a broken record yet again, but this is the best salmon I’ve ever made; even better than the honey mustard herb salmon. And if you have ever had the honey mustard herb broiled salmon then you know this is the salmon of every salmon lover’s dream!

I have been eyeing wood planks for several months now. Last October my sister and I did an amazing cooking class at Sur la table. After the class we got a 10% to use in the store and that’s when I saw the wood planks. And in reading up on them I realized that it’s a better way to smoke the foods than using the wood chips like I was used to. I didn’t buy the wood planks then and I regretted it. I was given a second chance when my younger cousins gave me a Williams and Sonoma gift card. I knew that seafood month was fast approaching so I checked to see if they it and sure enough they did.

The salmon is tender juicy and smokey. The cedar wood flavors really absorbs into the meat. I got the idea to soak my wood in wine from the packaging on the wood. I was originally going to just soak in water, but I figured that’s adding another layer of flavor and aromatics so why not! And let’s not forget about the bacon onion jam, which adds another layer of delicious flavor to the salmon. It’s a very very simple recipe that I am glad I came up with to share with you all. Everyone has been raving about the jerk salmon recipe, but my friends this one is the truth! 




3-4  Salmon filets
¼ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoon Honey

Bacon Onion Jam
1 tablespoon Oil
2 Onions chopped
½ pound Bacon
2 sprigs Rosemary
1 ½ cup Red wine
1 ½ cup Honey


Instructions

For the jam
  • Preheat the oven to 475-500 degrees
  • In a dutch oven or cast iron pot add the chopped onions, raw bacon, rosemary and oil
  • Allow this to cook uncovered in the oven stirring occasionally until the bacon is cooked and onions are browned
  • Add the wine and stir, cover allow to cook until the wine has reduced
  • Once it has reduced to a thick mixture blend in a food processor with the honey
  • Set aside to cool and serve. 
For the salmon
  • Pre-soak the wood planks in water or white wine for at least two hours
  • Season the salmon with salt and black pepper.
  • Coat the salmon on all sides with the honey and sprinkle the top (flesh side) with allspice
  • Place the soaked wood plank on a hot grill and toast for a minute on each side
  • Place the salmon skin side down on the charred wood and cover. Allow the salmon to smoke and cook for 8-10 minutes vent holes open
  • Serve with bacon onion jam on top.




Greedy Tips:
  • The wood planks create a whole lot of smoke, I left the vent on my grill open just so I didn’t over smoke the salmon
  • For the first char you should place the wood directly over the flames to toast. But once the salmon is added, try not to put the wood plank directly over the hot flames, if you intend to reuse the wood planks. You don’t want them to burn and the direct scorching heat will burn it too much that it can’t be reused. So place the hot coals to one side and the plans to the other as best you can. 

Shopping 

 If your interested in some cedar wood planks, I just purchased these from amazon. Make sure to soak them in some wine or water or stock before use.




Xoxo Greedygirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment