Friday 6 March 2015

Jerk Salmon



Something Smells Fishy...


The first time I had jerk fish was on the eve of my 29th birthday. We went to Oswald’s at alligator pond and as usual I ordered my escovitch fish. We were about to order another when someone suggested I try their Jerk fish. It was spectacular and I have never ordered anything else from them since that day.

I have gone there several times after examining and tasting the fish trying to figure out what makes theirs so good. A few times I have peeped in on the kitchen and seen a large vat of a brown sauce filled with onions and seasonings. I don’t know if the fishes are soaked in it or if it’s just thrown on it after the fact. I don’t know what the base liquid is, I just have to assume. I used my common sense and mild detective skills and came up with my own version.

I have made jerk fish at home several times using my method. Everyone thinks it’s a very close second to Oswald’s original jerk fish. I always use whole fish to make this, this is the first time I've used salmon. I only made three salmon filets because I am saving the extra sauce for a jerk lobster pasta later on in the month. However this amount of sauce can marinate up to 10 filets.




Salmon filets
1 tablespoon Thyme
1 large Onion
1 cup chopped Scallion
2 Scotch bonnet pepper
2 stick salted Butter
¼ cup Grape seed oil
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Black pepper
2 tablespoon Ground allspice




Greedy tips:

  • The sauce can stay in the refrigerator up to a week and in the freezer even longer
  • Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before use
  • If you are grilling while fish make sure to stuff the fish with the seasonings and paint the outside of the fish with the marinade. 

Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment