Tuesday 17 November 2015

Bacon wrapped Coffee Bourbon Ham


"Christmas is coming"
 

A few weeks ago I did some food styling for Caribbean Passion and made a few hams for them. I love coming up with new ideas to flavor ham. Of the three I made for them the coffee bourbon maple ham was epic. I mean really really delicious. I knew I had to recreate this dish in some way for the blog. And here it is, with bacon and cherries.

Next to oxtail, ham is one of the easiest meats to cook. Especially ham that is fully cooked, all you really have to do is warm it and dress it with the flavors that you desire. I have come to the conclusion that coffee and ham is the most perfect union. I mean we have been eating bacon and drinking coffee for breakfast for years, so it’s no surprise that actually pouring the coffee on the ham and baking it is just as good.

Not only is the coffee maple and bourbon perfection, but the bacon on top is on another level of yum. First of all by the time it’s finished it will be like candied bacon on top, super sweet and filled with the coffee flavor. You want to bake the ham until the bacon is crispy and golden brown. I almost had an epic fail with this recipe due to the fact that I was busy making a bread pudding (which will be posted Friday) and almost burnt the bacon to a crisp. Mind you my boyfriend, mother and two cousins were all sitting in the kitchen with me doing their own thing, and not one person said “umm, Chantay, remember the ham”. I was about ready to put the bread pudding into the baking dish and suddenly remembered that there is already something in the oven. Crisis averted they bacon was a little over done, but not as bad as it could have been had I waited another 10 minutes to realize. 



Ingredients (printable recipe)

Fully cooked Caribbean Passion boneless leg ham
1 pack Caribbean passion streaky bacon
1 jar Maraschino cherries
Glaze
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup bourbon
1 ½ tablespoon instant coffee

Instructions

  • Make sure the ham is completely defrosted
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
  • Completely wrap in several layers of foil
  • Place in a baking dish half filled up with water
  • Allow to steam for 35 to 45 minutes warming the ham all the way through
  • Remove from the oven and set aside to rest
  • In a sauce pan warm and dissolve the coffee in the bourbon and maple syrup
  • Remove the ham from the foil
  • Place the strips of bacon across the ham securing the ends with a toothpick and a cherry
  • Repeat until the entire ham is covered
  • Pour the maple coffee bourbon glaze over the entire ham
  • Place in the oven, bake until the bacon Is golden brown and crispy
  • Remove from oven allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing







Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment