Friday 20 November 2015

Hazelnut Bread pudding


"Christmas is coming"

When you have stale bread, there is no better way to use them up than to make a bread pudding. And this recipe is truly the best bread pudding recipe ever.  It is extremely flavorful, rich in hazelnut flavors and a hint of Jamaican chocolate.  You may end up purchasing bread just to make it.

This bread pudding recipe is for the persons who like the mushy not chunky style bread pudding. I have one other recipe on the blog for a breakfast style chocolate bread pudding using pears and sea salt, it’s really good, for the persons who like to see chunks of bread in their pudding. However as good as that other bread pudding is I must say this hazelnut version is way more delicious by far.

I first stumbled upon this recipe earlier this year and I say stumbled because I wanted to make bread pudding and I just decided to experiment with flavors I added the hazelnut extract, I saw some Jamaican cacao decided to add that too and to top it off decided to make a home-made caramel sauce for the top. It was divine! I have made this bread pudding so many times in the last few months, every time we have visitors my mom wants me to make it. Not only that, she did not want me to post the recipe however, its mine to post as I see fit. So as a compromise I held on to the caramel sauce recipe and figured you all can use or not use whatever caramel sauce you desire.

When you have stale bread don’t throw them out, throw them in the freezer and once you have accumulated a good amount of bread, then make the pudding. However if you’re in a family where the notion of stale bread does not exist because bread just can’t last that long then you may have to purchase bread to make this. Either way it needs to be on the Christmas dessert table.



I had a whole lot of left over bread so the video recipe is scaled way up. The recipe below is the standard size.

2 smart eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoon melted butter
2 cups rum soaked raisins
1 tablespoon shredded Jamaican cacao (or unsweetened Hershey cocoa powder)
1 teaspoon hazelnut extract
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
4 to 5 cups chopped bread (approximate get the consistency shown in the video)
 ½ cup chopped hazelnuts (optional)




 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment