Friday 24 June 2016

Mashed potato stuffed meatloaf


"Potato Patata" 


I can’t recall seeing meatloaf served without a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. So why not just stuff the meat loaf with mashed potatoes to begin with? That’s what I did in this post; a very cool way to combine two dishes into one.

I thought about adding cheese, but opted to keep it clean for the kids.  These types of recipes usually happen when I save my blog post for the last minute. I grab whatever is on hand and in the words of Tim Gun; I make it work. I purchased some ground beef to make burgers for my future husband and we had some two day old mashed potatoes in the refrigerator that I knew would not make it.  Hence this recipe was born, but there is more to the story.

My original idea (and I hope someone tries it) was to make some brown gravy and freeze it in a log shape by putting it a zip-loc bag and hanging it in the freezer to harden. Then I planned on layering the beef then mashed potatoes, the frozen gravy in the center then mashed potatoes on top and closing it all up with more beef. What I envisioned would happen, is that when it was sliced you would have the gunny gravy oozing from the center. In actuality I had no time to make gravy. I don’t even know if the gravy thing would have worked, but that was where I was headed.  '



I feel like all food bloggers say their food is delicious. And I am so sick and tired of typing and saying how delicious something is that I make. Do yall believe me? What I will say is, if I make something and it sucks, or it’s not as good as it could be, I will say it (I’ve done it before). So I’m not lying when I say this was tasty, a little dry because I left it in the oven too long but yummy.  I even mixed in a little sweet potato with the mashed potatoes (because I have so much potatoes lying around from all these recipes). What I loved the most was the honey bbq glaze on top; it really worked well with the beef and potatoes. If anyone tries the gravy thing before me, please feel free to tag me on Instagram or something and let me know how it went. Happy cooking!


Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 ½  pound ground beef
1 teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon ground Allspice
1 Onion finely chopped
1 egg
2 tablespoon coconut oil
½ cup breadcrumbs
2-3 cups mashed potatoes (room temp or cold)
Topping
¼ cup Hickory BBQ sauce
¼  cup Honey
½ cup Ketchup
1 teaspoon thyme leaves

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 340 degrees
  • In a bowl combine beef, salt, black pepper, allspice, onion, egg, oil and breadcrumbs
  • Mix together until combined do not over mix
  • Lightly spray a loaf pan with cooking spray
  • In the pan lace 2/3 of the mixture into the pan carrying it along the bottom and up the sides, you want it to be around ½ inch to ¾ inch thick
  • Fill the center with the mashed potatoes
  • Take the remaining beef mixture and seal in all the mashed potatoes
  • Turn out onto a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper
  • Mix together the bbq sauce, ketchup, honey and thyme leaves
  • Paint a layer of this mixture on the meatloaf
  • Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes
  • After that time baste again with another layer of sauce
  • Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes
  • Baste with any remaining sauce, Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving


Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment