Tuesday 6 September 2016

Crispy Peanut butter and jelly stuffed French toast

'Sammies'


It’s everyone’s childhood sandwich. Pb&j  is a staple in almost everyone’s homes. If your refrigerator is empty chances are beside those takeout box is a jar of peanut butter. I am the girl that eats it with a spoon as a quick snack. I adore peanut butter and jelly to the core, especially with my favorite guava jelly. So there was no way it would not make an appearance this month. But as you know I have to do something special with everything I make.


The thing about French toast is it’s so versatile; it can take anything you give to it. I am truly a pancake and waffle girl at heart. My sister is the undefeated French toast lover champion. My problem with traditional style French toast that most persons make, is the lack of crunch. Soaking bread in an egg mixture and then frying it in butter almost never results in a French toast with a crunch that lasts.  This is the reason why corn flakes and frosted flakes have become my friends. If you follow this blog you know I’m all about the crispy French toast, this is the fourth French toast recipe on the blog. And there is way more in store. So far I have done…

Chocolate French toast
Crunchy pumpkin vanilla bean French toast
Crispy Nutella stuffed French toast with coffee patron maple syrup
And I did a crispy French toast pancake in the GGC test kitchen


The underlying theme here is crispy. Even when I make French toast that’s not coated, I have to put them in the oven to bake after I toast them quickly in the pot just to make sure they crisp up.

This recipe takes the nostalgic sandwich and elevates it to a new level of yum. The peanut butter and jelly combo with a crunch is just too good. The only thing I would probably change next time is instead of two piping bags, I would combine the peanut butter and jelly in one bag, so that they mix in the center. As it stands they didn’t mix enough (for me) so I was getting bites of peanut butter only and some bites of jelly only. But all in all, I really liked it. I didn’t use frosted flakes or top with any syrup, because the sweetness of the jelly was enough. I also used a natural peanut butter that had no sugar or honey added. So everything was really balanced and not overly sweet. 



Ingredients (Printable recipe)

3 slices hard dough bread
3 tablespoon Creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoon Guava jelly (or any flavor you like)
1 box cornflakes
1 cup flour
2 eggs
½  cup cream
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon vanilla bean extract
¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
3 tablespoon salted Butter

Instructions


  • Place the peanut butter and jelly into two separate piping bags.
  • If your peanut butter or jelly is a little too hard give it a couple second in the microwave, you want it to be malleable and easy to squeeze from the bag.
  • Take a slice of bread and with a sharp knife create a pocket in the center of the bread making sure not to pierce the outer walls
  • Cut the tip of the piping bag and fill the pocket with a peanut butter and jelly, try to concentrate the mixture to the bottom of the pocket
  • Do not over fill
  • In a bowl combine, eggs, milk, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk until completely incorporated
  • In a plate spread out the flour
  • Take the bag of cornflakes and crush into as small pieces ad you can and pour into another plate
  • Take the stuffed bread and roll into the flour then dip into the egg mixture
  • Dip back into the flour concentrating on the seam where you cut  the opening
  • Dip a second time into the egg mixture to create a glue to keep the opening closed
  • Then dip the egg mixture saturated bread into the cornflakes and coat liberally pressing the cornflakes into the bread
  • Warm 1 tablespoon of butter in a small sauce pan and place the toast in.
  • Cook on all sides’ front, back and edges to make sure the peanut butter and jelly it completely sealed off in the center
  • This is a quick process as the cornflakes and bread toast quickly
  • Remove from the heat and place on a cooling rack. Repeat until all are finished
  • I like to do mine one at a time to mitigate burning (but you can do multiple with a large pot)

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment