Tuesday 4 April 2017

Cheesy Jack Fruit seed spread


M...eat...less

This is year four of my vegetarian/ vegan month so a girl has ‘gats’ to get creative. It all started with me doing research for another recipe I will be doing later on this month using the flesh of the jack fruit. Come to find out the seed is also edible. People boil it, roast it, all kinds of stuff. This is my first ever time cooking or eating jack fruit seeds. And I decided the easiest thing to make as a beginner in the game was to make a dip/spread


 I adore the Jack fruit, the smell, the taste, everything I just find it so appealing. It makes me so happy to learn that the seeds I can also work with. I had originally planned to boil the seeds, smoke them and then make the dip. However, I was not sure how strong or subtle the flavor of the seeds would be so I decided to forgo the smoking in case the flavor was over powered.

For me the seeds blended up and taste like a slightly grainy nutty potato. To be honest I would boil them and add to my mashed potatoes for their added health benefits. The dip is pretty good, everyone says it taste like lobster, weird…I know. But to me it behaves a little bit like tofu taking on the flavor of what its seasoned with. So the dip overall is quite flavorful, works pretty well warm or room temperature rather than cold. It has the potential to be very versatile. I will be using it as a spread for sandwiches and even mixed in with my omelets and scrambled eggs.




Ingredients (printable recipe)

24 jack fruit seeds
3 Cups salted water or chicken broth
1 tablespoon coconut oil
¼ cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves shredded
3 tablespoon chopped parsley
½ teaspoon chopped hot pepper
¼ teaspoon Salt (more or less to taste)
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
¼ teaspoon Onion powder
¼ teaspoon Paprika
¼ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon Honey
¾ cup water or coconut milk (as needed for consistency)
¼ cup shredded pepper jack cheese


Instructions

  • Remove all the ripe jack fruit flesh from the seeds
  • Add the seeds to a pot of salted water or broth and cook until fork tender about 20 to 30 minutes
  • Strain the seeds and remove the outer hard husk like shells
  • Place the peeled seeds into a blender and pulse until fine (mine was clumpy and sticky)
  • To a sauce pan add coconut oil, saute chopped onion, garlic and hot peppers until fragrant
  • Add the blended jack fruit seeds and saute to mix the onion mixture with the blended seed mixture
  • Add ¼ cup of water or coconut milk along with salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, allspice, and honey
  • Saute continually stirring, add more liquid in ¼ cup increments if needed, I used all  ¾ cups to reach the consistency I liked.
  • Once you reach a desired creamy consistency add the chopped parsley and cheese, stir until the cheese melts
  • Serve with chips or crackers.





Xoxo Greedygirl 




No comments:

Post a Comment