Tuesday 18 April 2017

Vegan rose petal ice-cream



M...eat...less

Even though I am a believer in full fat heavy cream ice cream. I am usually trying out different vegan varieties. Especially in April since it the month dedicated to no meats.  I am not sure what exactly possessed me to use roses as the flavoring for this ice-cream but here we are.


I woke up expecting to find the roses I had left on the bushes in-tact only to find out there was one left, the rest had either fell victim to my puppies or the intense rain and winds we have been getting over the last few weeks. I had to hop in the van and drive to my mother who I knew for sure would have roses. My parents have a bountiful property filled with fruits veggies herbs, orchids, roses and all kids of flowering plants. She picked me a couple and I was well on my way.

I followed the general method I usually make egg free ice-creams, except for the rose simple syrup. In all honesty, we might as well call this a coconut rose ice-cream. The coconut milk flavor is dominant. My rose flavor is ever so subtle. If you can get a hold of some store-bought rose syrup that’s super intensely rose flavored then I would absolutely go that route instead of making your own rose syrup. Then you would just add the petals as a beautiful garnish.

Even though the coconut milk flavor is predominant it’s the only way to get the fat needed to make this an ice cream and not a sorbet. It does however freeze very hard. Once it was frozen overnight, in order to eat it again I left mine on the counter for about 10 minutes to soften up before serving. Not bad at all. If I ever were to make this again it would not be vegan.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 cup Water
4-5 sprayed Roses (petals only)
1 cup Sugar
4 cups coconut milk
3 tablespoon Rose water
2 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon Corn syrup

Instructions
  • Add water rose petals and sugar to a pan, bring to boil, then slow simmer and allow the syrup to reduce and deepen in color
  • Reserve a ½ cup of coconut milk and use to dissolve the corn starch
  • Add the remaining coconut milk to the rose petal syrup
  • Stir continually add rose water and corn syrup
  • Add the corn starch mixture and continue to cook until it thickens and coats a spoon
  • Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely then steep overnight in the refrigerator
  • Once steeped and totally cold churn in an ice-cream maker
  • Place the soft serve liquid in a freezer safe bowl and freeze for an hour to slightly harden
  • Serve. 









Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment