Monday 15 April 2019

Grilled Salmon scallion pancake tacos with a fresh apple relish


"Something smells fishy"

I am still trying to get the hang of this motherhood blogger thing. It’s been quite a task to do these recipes and these blog posts with my little Elizabeth. According to The Bump, at 10 weeks old, she should be taking longer naps, sleeping even up to 6 hours. Today I got the longest sleep from her ever. She gave me roughly four and a half hours. This is the one and the only reason why I had time to make, eat, photograph and blog this recipe all in the same day. YAY ME!


There is a special place in my heart for scallion pancakes I think it makes the best vehicle for any and every topping and is perfect all on its own. In my head conceptualizing what I wanted to make I knew it would be something with grilled salmon. It had to be a delicious recipe that we could have for dinner, as well as something new and different for the blog. I wanted the scallion pancakes and another crunchy element that wasn’t your typical cabbage or lettuce slaw. We had one single apple in the refrigerator, and I knew there was my crunch.

For whatever reason apples and onions go well together and surprisingly cilantro and lime juice only add to that deliciousness. The fresh apple relish is so crunchy and crisp and adds the perfect tart bite to cut through the sweet richness of the peanut butter and the Smokey char from the grilled salmon. My mother devoured her two tacos, she thoroughly enjoyed them, and I am sure I will have to remake this for dinner sometime in the near future. Two tacos a person was just not enough.




Serves 4 (makes 8 tacos)

Ingredients (printable recipe)
For the salmon
3-4 Slices of salmon skinless
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vinegar
For the Apple relish
1 apple chopped
¼ cup onion chopped
2 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1 lime (juice)
1 tablespoon honey
For the Peanut sauce
Leftover marinade from salmon
1 1/2  tablespoon peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
For the Scallion pancake
2 cups flour
1 cup boiling water
Oil
Salt
1 cup chopped scallion


Instructions
  • The scallion pancake recipe is on another blog post I did a few years back click here for the method
  • In a bowl mix together the sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, and honey.
  • Pour the mixture over the salmon and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes
  • Chop the apples, relish, and cilantro, add the lime juice and honey stir to coat and set aside for the flavors to meld together
  • Remove the salmon from the marinade and grill about 5 minutes per side, if the salmon is thick it may need a bit more time. After its grilled remove from the heat allow it to cool slightly before flaking with a fork
  • Boil the remaining marinade left over from the salmon with peanut butter, honey, vinegar and ginger
  • Toss the flaked salmon in the peanut sauce
  • Assemble the tacos by starting with a scallion pancake filling it with salmon coated in peanut sauce and topping with the crisp fresh apple relish.








 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment