Monday 5 October 2020

Jamaican Plantain Fritters

 


Mmm Mmm Good!

What’s better than a platter full of delicious fritters? It could be saltfish, banana, plantain, bacon or sausage it does not matter, I’ll take them all. I had an over ripe plantain in the refrigerator for the better part of a week and seeing as though it was my morning to make breakfast, I figured why not make some fritters.

How do you like your fritters? There are several shapes  and textures that you can get when making them. Round balls with a thick batter, flat and crispy with a runny batter, fluffy and thick with the addition of baking powder. I am a flat and crispy girl. And so is Lizzie. You should have seen this little 19-month-old with two fritters, one in each hand. Sis ate it right down to nothing and wanted more.

The cinnamon and nutmeg were very present complemented the plantain flavor so well. In the video I only had 1 plantain but it really would have been better with two. So I edited the recipe below to account for the use of two plantains. If I had some bananas I would have mixed them. Banana fritters are even better as the banana flavor is way more intense than plantain. But either way I’m eating them. The texture after fried is perfectly crispy on the edges, its not oily and the center is soft and chewy.

Go make these and @ me your results on Instagram!

 



Ingredients (printable recipe)

1-2 large over ripe plantain
2 ½ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
3 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar
apx 2/3 cup water cup water
enough oil to shallow fry

Instructions

  • Peel the plantains and mash into a paste
  • Dissolve sugar in water
  • Mix flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and plantains in a bowl
  • Add the sweet water a little at a time while mixing the batter, you may or may not use all the water
  • Heat some oil in a frying pan
  • Spoon the batter into hot oil in small circles
  • Fry about 1 to 2 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy
  • Drain on a paper towel and serve hot.

Greedy Tips:

  • My brown sugar has very large coarse grains, so I dissolve it in the water and use that to sweeten, if your sugar is fine you don’t need to dissolve in water first. you can add it directly to the flour.
  • I don’t measure the water; I add it in small amounts until I reach the desired consistency. Lumpy thick while still a little runny. like a thick cake batter.




Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment