Friday 17 January 2014

Chocolate Banana Fritters



 "Feast of Saint Valentine"



I will say that this month of chocolate recipes have truly tested my recipe imagination skills. I find the month were I focus on one ingredient, making the recipes versatile tend to be quite a challenge.  So far using chocolate I’ve made french toast, orange hot chocolate, ribs, a milk shake and now fritters. Cocoa and banana yes, please and thank you.
These little puffs are like doughnuts with no yeast, very soft, tender in the center and not oily at all. It always amuses me that when you deep fry a batter it never soaks up the oil but pan fry it and it’s a whole other story. But anyway, the outside are very crispy and the inside are soft very similar to a bread in texture.

There are a few options for these fritters. I generally try not to use added sugar when making recipes with fruits that are naturally very sweet. So I would recommend using a very ripe to over ripe banana (the black ones or heavily speckled) and skip adding any extra sugar. For this video recipe I had normal bananas with average sweetness, so I had to add a little sugar (even though I did not show it in the vid) Give this one a try for breakfast of dessert.





Makes 12 fritters

Ingredients (printable recipe)


1 ½ cup Flour
1 ½ table spoon Cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
½ salt
1 tbsp  sugar (optional)
3 ripe Bananas
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/3 cup water
Oil for deep frying
Chocolate ganache dip and powdered sugar (optional)



These are quick easy and delicious, the cocoa flavor does not over power the banana, if you want a stronger chocolate flavor you can add an extra table spoon of cocoa powder. However I'm a subtle girl, and I love mixing flavors where no one outshines the other so I went a bit easy on the cocoa powder. And if you do use a chocolate dip, then you really don't need too much cocoa powder in the batter.


Greedy tips

  • Fry at 350 degrees for 4- 5 minutes
  • Don’t let the color fool you, they turn golden brown very fast due to the cocoa powder
  • Flip them continuously with wooden skewers
  • Use very  ripe bananas, that way they are sweeter and no added sugar is needed. If your bananas are not as ripe and sweet, add sugar to the dry ingredients
  • Deep fry these do not shallow fry or they will absorb all the oil

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment