Friday 24 January 2014

Chocolate cupcakes with Ganache n bacon


"Feast of Saint Valentine"



Well if is isn't chocolate and meat....again. This time good ole bacon. 

Remember as a child, when you did not want your food to touch? Your eggs bacon and pancakes had to be totally separated. Then you grew a little older and accidentally had pancakes, bacon and syrup all in one bite. You enjoyed the salty sweet combo. To seal the deal Mc Donald’s introduced the bacon egg and cheese mc griddles and you dared to brave this new territory of salty sweets. Yes I remember too, I think everyone on earth realized at the same time, how great a combo it was. I’m sure that’s when the world council unanimously decided that bacon should top everything, not just a breakfast plate.  And I totally agree with their decision.

 At this moment in the world of unique eats it seems bacon I showing up in all kinds of unconventional places. On doughnuts, dipped in chocolate, cookies, mac n cheese, jams, you name it and bacon has probably been in it. This salty meat is no stranger to cupcakes at all. People have been topping cupcakes with crispy bacon for quite a while.  And here I am hitching a ride on the bandwagon.

I am not a baker. The three ladies who I depend on for baking knowledge are Paula Dean, Ina Garten and Mommy. In the case of these delicious babies I turned to Ina. I am totally in love with Ina Garten’s chocolate cake, for a number of years it’s been my base model for chocolate cakes, or cakes in general. I look at her ratios of dry ingredients to fats, sugars, and liquids and use that model to substitute ingredients to my liking. This method has never steered me wrong.





Makes 12
Ingredients (printable recipe)

Cake
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
1 cup chocolate milk
1 egg
½ tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. almond extract

Candied Bacon
4 slices Canadian bacon
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water

 Chocolate Ganache: click here






This has such a moist and soft delicate texture. Really my favorite chocolate cake recipe. I would highly recommend you try it out, with or without the bacon. But don't leave out the ganache.

Greedy Tips:
  • Bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpic comes out clean
  • when mixing alternate between dry and wet ingredients, end with the dry (no clue why but that's what everyone says) 
  • Do not over mix the batter once the flour and liquids have been added
  • If your sugar crystallizes while cooking the bacon just add a little water to melt it
  •  Ina's chocolate cake click here

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment