Friday 20 February 2015

Classic Jamaican Beef Cocktail Patty


Juici...and if you don't know, now you know!


As a Jamaican I can say I know a good patty. And many persons would agree we eat patties a great deal. However we hardly ever make them. I venture to say most Jamaicans have never and will never make a patty. But I’m sure you would be hard pressed to find one that has never eaten one. There are a few places that sell the best patties.

Juici patties- Basically the Jamaican Mc Donald’s, they are everywhere; Makes a delicious beef patty that is flavorful, has a thinner flaky crust. When hot and fresh it’s easily the perfect lunch

Devon house – Devon house bakery in Kingston bakes probably the best patties in the world. 

Green shop- Maypen , I first had their patties as a child, My aunts in Maypen use to buy patties from here and let me tell you it’s a thing that stuck with me through life. I had they patties as an adult they are not made quite the same way but they are still good, they still have more of a sweet flavor, and that’s what was distinct to me as a child and distinguished it from other patties.

Tastee- this is basically juici patties rival, was the king of patties back in my parent’s day. A very delicious patty, milder flavored beef but divine crust, sweet undertones, reminiscent of the Green shop patty crust from my youth. 

There is another spot called Mothers…I personally have never had their patties but I have heard that their bacon and cheese patty is epic (I made my own version), and I have heard people say their power patty (soy patty) is also amazing

There you have you greedy girl crash course on where to buy patties when you’re ever in Jamaica. As for this recipe, it yields very delicious flavorful patty, yummy crust and a spicy filling. I personally love the cocktail patty sizes. It’s the perfect two bites. 




Filling

½ onion
3 cloves garlic
7 scallion stalks
1 teaspoon allspice berries
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
¼ cup water
2 tablespoon oil
1 lb beef
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 teaspoon browning
1 cup beef stock
8 blended crackers

The crust 
Dry:
2 cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shortening
½ cup cold butter
Wet:
2 teaspoon yellow food coloring
1/3 cup ice cold water
½ teaspoon vinegar
1 egg
½ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar






Greedy Tips:

  • My patty filling is very spicy because I used a whole pepper in the blend. If you like your patty mild use half a pepper. If you rather it not spicy at all, don't use any hot pepper.
  • Make sure the filling is cold before placing it in the crust
  • The mixture should be creamy and thick due to the crackers and cream.

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment