Tuesday 9 February 2016

Pork Potstickers


Time for Takeout!


There is nothing more comforting and delicious than dim sum. Next to scallion pancakes, dumplings may be my favorite takeout appetizer. They are crispy yet tender with a juicy and flavorful pork filling. Today I will show you how to wow everyone with the best pork dumplings ever!


Originally I had intended the wonton wrappers used in this post to make a really rich, bold and flavorful wonton soup. I had all these plans of making a really flavorful stock from scratch with chicken bones and smoked pork. However this New York weather just won’t let me be great. Every time I am gearing up to go to the store to get the extra ingredients needed it snows or it’s raining, or its super cold. I am really not about this winter life at all. So I decided I had to make a dish with what I had. I guess my epic wonton soup will have to be shelved for another time and place.

It’s a good thing I love dumplings, I have been making these for years and years, interestingly enough they are always chicken dumplings. This is the first time I’ve ever made pork dumplings, and to toot my own horn I ground the meat myself. My aunt had some lovely chunks of pork chops in the freezer; I put them to brine overnight and then minced it in the bomb.com ninja and its fresh home-made ground pork

The dumpling on its own is super flavorful; you really taste the onions garlic and especially the ginger the pork inside cooks quickly and is super tender. I won’t lie to you and tell you it was a joy to make, its not. Making these little tortellini shapes were a pain, you can make your dumplings in any you choose. Since I had the square wrappers I went with this shape. Time for some dim sum.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 lb pork mince
3 scallion stalks
1 tablespoon ginger
2 cloves garlic
½ cup chopped Onion
2 teaspoon Sesame oil
2 teaspoon Soy sauce
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 teaspoon Palm nectar
Wonton wrapper
Water or low sodium chicken broth
Sesame oil for frying

Instruction

  • In a blender mix together scallions, garlic, ginger, onion and oil
  • Combine the minced pork with the blended onion mixture with black pepper, soy sauce and palm nectar
  • Place wonton wrapper in a diamond shape spoon a small amount of meat mixture into the center
  • Dampen the top two edges with water
  • Fold the wrapper in half and seal the edges
  • Fold the two ends around and tuck them in pinching a bit to seal the dough
  • Heat a little sesame oil in a non-stick pan
  • Place the dumplings in the pot they will immediately begin to brown and crisp
  • Fill the pot with low sodium chicken broth or water about ¼ ways up the dumplings  cover and allow it to steam cook
  • The liquid will evaporate as is steam cooks the dumplings, once dried out it will begin to sauté the dumplings
  • Add more crisp to the sides if you choose  before removing from the pan
  • Serve with a soy based dipping sauce










Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment