Friday 3 June 2016

Rosemary garlic sweet potato rice




"Potato Patata" 

This month it’s all about potatoes. Potatoes are one of the most versatile starches out there.  You can do any and everything with them. Have you ever mixed it with rice? This is seriously a carbohydrates overload but it’s a really good recipe.

The garlic and rosemary perfume the rice so perfectly, and the sweet potatoes add the perfect creamy finish. I don’t even know what possessed me to add sweet potatoes to some rice. I had the task of making two potato recipes for the blog as well as cooking some oxtail and rice for dinner.  I did not want to make two potato recipes and white rice to go with the oxtail. So the light bulb went off and I was like well maybe I can combine the potato and the rice so ill only have to cook three items and not four. I figured the worst that could happen is it does not taste good or the potatoes would get too mushy. Luckily neither of those things happened.

My (meaning chef johns)  fool proof basmati rice method is at work. 2 cups rice 3 cups liquid 20 minutes cooking very low and 8 minutes to steam with the flames off, it never fails. The only thing I did was add an extra half cup of liquid to compensate for any absorption of liquid from the sweet potatoes.The garlic and rosemary is sooooooooooo good in the rice it is unbelievable; a very unique flavor. I think it’s because my brain processes rice to taste a certain way, the intensity of the garlic in this one was a lovely change. I can’t even tell you how spectacular it was with the oxtails. All in all, this rice is a winner! 




3 tablespoon coconut oil
2-3 Japanese style sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
5 cloves shredded garlic
2 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
2 cups basmati rice
3 ½ cup coconut milk



 Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment