Friday 21 October 2016

Pumpkin Chili Cheese Pasta


Pumpkin Everythang!


Have you ever had one of those days where you wanted to make a quick and easy dinner in one pot? That was me the day I made this concoction. I had a small pack of ground beef, some pumpkin, left over frozen blocks of cheese from past recipes, a box of spaghetti and a dream that it would all come together and be delicious.


I had two tasks, make dinner with what we had on hand, and make sure pumpkin was in it so it could also work as a blog post. As I approached the pantry I was hoping we had a box of elbow macaroni left over from whenever. Unfortunately all we had was a box of penne and a box of spaghetti. I already use penne this month and it is a pasta that requires a whole lot of sauce, which I wasn’t entirely sure I would have. I figured the spaghetti would be a better option.

This dinner tasted like the child of mac and cheese and a burrito. Everyone loved it, which was surprising to me because Jamaicans tend to not be fans of cumin. Actually let me not generalize, the Jamaican in my household, tend to not be fans of cumin.  My mother and I are the true cumin fans, everyone else….not so much.
I guess it was the beef, or the cheese, or the beans, or the pasta, or maybe we were all just starving, I don’t know what it was but it was a hit. And it only took one pot.



Ingredients (printable recipe)

3 tablespoon coconut oil
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped tomato
3 cups chopped pumpkin
1 can black beans
5 cups beef broth (salted)
1 ½ teaspoon ground Cumin
1 ½ teaspoon Chipotle powder
2 tablespoon Onion powder
1 ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
1 box spaghetti
4 oz Cheddar cheese
4 oz Mozzarella cheese
4 oz Pepperjack cheese
Season with salt and black pepper to taste
garnish with fresh chopped cilantro peppers and tomatoes

Instructions

  • Add oil to a deep pot over medium/high heat
  • Add onion and ground beef and sauté until onions are tender and beef is gray and no longer pink
  • Add the tomato, green peppers, pumpkin, black beans and beef broth
  • Allow it to come to a simmer
  • Add cumin, chipotle powder, onion powder and smoked paprika bring to a boil
  • The second it comes to a boil stir in the pasta, place on medium/low heat and allow the pasta and pumpkin to cook absorbing all the liquid
  • Once most of the liquid has been absorbed and the pasta al dente/cooked add in all the cheese and stir (my liquid took about 15 minutes to absorb results will vary based on the heat)
  • You should have a creamy consistency, season with salt and black pepper if needed
  • Serve immediately while hot and creamy. 






Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment