Tuesday 1 November 2016

Sage chive and smoked mozzarella honey cream Biscuits



"Christmas is coming"



It’s that time again; recipes to grace your holiday table will be on the blog all November. As usual I start it off with some biscuits. Every year I tweak and make variations of my favorite easy cream biscuits. Today we are using sage, chives and smoked mozzarella.


Can I just say how the star of the show is absolutely smoked mozzarella? I almost shrieked when I saw it in the grocery store. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at making smoked mozzarella at home, but every time I muster the courage, the lazy ‘cya bodda’ attitude just swoops in and I end up buying sargento instead. So glad when I saw some local smoked mozzarella balls in whole foods. At the time when I purchased the cheese I had no idea what it would be going in. But the second I decided on these biscuits I knew it was a done deal

The biscuits as usual are perfection, soft, tender, gooey, buttery, the chives and sage combo is first class. Everyone will adore these biscuits. They are even good left over and re heated. If you don’t have smoked mozzarella you could use a combination of regular mozzarella with any other smoked cheese. If your wondering why the biscuits look like they are struggling, it’s because I didn’t use a cookie cutter. I decided I did not want to have wasted edges that I would need to refold so I simply used a knife and cut squares, whatever the shape you can’t go wrong with these biscuits.




Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 tablespoon Honey
2 tablespoon chopped Chives
1 tablespoon chopped sage
½  cup smoked mozzarella
3 tablespoon salted cold butter
2 cups self-rising flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ cup cream


Instructions


  • Preheat oven to 500 degrees
  • Finely chop the sage and chive
  • Combine butter chives, sage and honey in a bowl set aside in the refrigerator
  • Combine flour sugar in a bowl add heavy cream and mix until the dough loosely forms
  • Turn out onto a floured work surface and form together into a rectangle
  • Fold into thirds (like a tri-fold brochure) sprinkle with flour and roll the dough to a half inch thickness
  • Repeat this folding and rolling method two more times
  • On the last roll spread the butter over the entire dough fold into thirds and roll again
  • Into a ½ inch thickness
  • Cut into the desired shapes, I just sliced it with a sharp knife
  • Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, the biscuits will rise and be golden brown. 






xoxo greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment