Friday 3 February 2017

Curry coconut plantain and eggs


"JAMAICAN FLAVORS"

This February is all about Jamaican flavors. Most of the dishes I will cook are probably not very traditional but they embody the flavors of home. Coconuts, all spice, garlic, onion and more coconut. The first dish is something I made up in my hungry state in need of some breakfast.


I woke up and had a green shake then proceeded to google huevos rancheros dishes online for about two hours. I was planning hoping I had all the ingredients in the kitchen to go make some. I did not. I suddenly realized Jamaica does not have a go to traditional egg breakfast as a staple in our homes. if you go to a restaurant for a Jamaican breakfast, eggs are not on the menu. I mean don't get me wrong we eat eggs for breakfast, but not made in any special way that is indicative of our culture. Most other cultures have a traditional breakfast containing eggs. Jamaicans do not, we have ackee and salt fish, callaloo, rundown, boiled banana etc. etc. So I decided to make up a “Jamaican egg breakfast”.

In order to kill two birds with one stone, I made a recipe for the blog as well as to fill my tummy with some lunch. I made a lovely savory stew of curry coconut milk and ripe plantains, topped it with a fried egg. The only thing my recipe lacked was some homemade bammy. If I had cassavas I would have surely added them. In any case I will add my recipe for that later in the month.

Feel free to top it with a runny fried egg, my eggs however can’t get any runnier than they are in the images. And to be honest that was quite runny for me (I did good) I’m a hard yolk kind of girl. But since I was emulating the feeling of huevos rancheros I went for a yolk that was at least a little moist.




Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 ripe plantain chopped into cubes
3 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ cup chopped onion
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped tomato
¼ cup chopped sweet pepper
½ cup coconut milk 
1 fried egg per serving
garnish with scallions


Instruction

  • Place the coconut oil and curry powder in a saute pan to heat up
  • Once the curry powder cooks a bit add the onions and the plantain
  • Saute periodically stirring until the plantains become brown and golden on all sides
  • Season with salt
  • Add the sweet peppers and tomatoes and continue to saute
  • Add the coconut milk and allow the sauce to thicken, season to taste with more salt if necessary
  • Remove from the heat and set aside
  • Fry the egg to your specifications
  • Serve the curried plantains with the fried egg on top

Greedy Tips:

  • Cook the plantains on medium high heat, it will suck up the oil, doesn't matter. Do not add more oil just keep tossing it and it will eventually turn golden brown. 







 XOXO Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment