Thursday 14 July 2016

Disastrously delicious Mango crunch cake




Mango is in season! 

Have I told yall that I hate to bake? I’m sure I say it in every single cake post. But this next disaster takes the cake (no pun intended…well…maybe a little). The flavors are on point, the texture on point, would I make it again yes, but with some serious changes.

Have you ever been in the process of doing something you know how to do, have done it several times before, but for whatever reason that little ball of stupid we have in our brain is working on over drive and it makes us do things we know we shouldn’t? Well that was me in this post.

See what had happed was… I make Louisiana crunch cake all the time, I know what pans to use and I know what pans not to use. I always make it in my handy dandy never failed me yet silicone baking pan. I have made it only once in this fancy Nordic ware pan and it did give me a little problem. So what did I do today, I pulled out the Nordic ware of course, because only a genius would use a pan she knows may have some issues with sticking.

I greased it sprinkled with sugar and the coconut flakes and I honest to God stared at it with an inkling in my mind to say should I use this pan? I kid you not. ‘Den mi seh cho’ it should be fine. The next stage of doubt came when I added the mango to the batter and poured it in the pan, I said to myself I hope they don’t sink to the bottom of the pan and stick….smh



After the 40 minutes of baking, I took out a lovely golden brown perfectly cooked cake. Everybody and their mothers sister’s grandmother knows that you need to let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before you take it out the pan. Can you guess what I did? I gave it a little shimmy and then turned it right out unto the cooling rack.
When I peeked under and noticed only half was coming down I immediately flipped it back only to see a disaster of crumpled cake mess. I had to try to release some parts with a knife and then turn it out again. Basically the whole right side of the cake was still in the pan PIPING HOT! So I peeled it out and stuck it on the cake squeezed it all together put it in the refrigerator hoping for the best, because after all the glaze can hide some of it right?

Ahhhh bwoy, I really can’t stand baking, and because of that fact aint nobody got time to be making another cake just for vanity. So yall gonna have to deal with my crumbled up, messy but oh so delicious cake. I mean its soooooooo good; its Louisiana crunch cake taken to the next level. Take my advice and use the pan you know works best and won’t stick. Then let it cool a bit before using a knife on the edges and flipping it over. If all else fails do a quick patch job and cover it with glaze…just like me.


Ingredients (printable recipe)

1 ½ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powders
¼ baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 stick salted butter
2 eggs
¾ cup buttermilk
2 heaping tablespoons of sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
2 Julie mangoes (1 ¼  cup chopped mango)
3 tablespoons white sugar
½  cup sweet coconut flakes (Bakers coconut flakes)

For the glaze
2 tablespoon melted butter
3 teaspoon coconut milk
2 tablespoon mango pulp/puree
¼  teaspoon vanilla
¼  teaspoon almond extract
1 cup powdered sugar


Instructions


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Peel mangoes and slice the flesh into small cubes set aside
  • Scrape the pulp off the seed with a dull knife and set aside
  • Prep the non-stick baking pan by spraying with oil and dusting with sugar, sprinkle the bottom of the pan with the ¼ cup of coconut flakes and set aside
  • Whip the butter on high until is pale in color light and fluffy
  • Add the sugar and mix for another 3 minutes
  • Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, flour, baking powder, baking soda
  • Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extract to the butter and sugar mix
  • Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternating ending with flour Stir
  • Stir in the sour cream into the batter  
  • Fold in the mango and another ¼ cup of coconut flake by hand
  • Pour into the pan and bake for 40 minutes or until the tester comes out clean
  • Let the pan rest for 5 to 10 minutes, using a knife release any edges that are stuck
  • Turn onto a cooling rack and allow it to completely cool before glazing

For the glaze

  • Whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, vanilla, mango pulp, coconut milk and melted butter
  • drizzle the glaze over the cake, it should be thick enough that one layer of glaze will be enough 





Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment