Saturday 18 February 2017

Ackee Seasoned rice


"JAMAICAN FLAVORS"


I am finally getting really good at rice! I guess once you get the ratio you can mix and match with flavors and ingredients and still get great results. This rice is so yummy, its vegan and can totally be a complete meal for anyone who does not eat meat.


I have been so MIA lately. Who knew home ownership had so many trials and tribulations? Everything that needs to be done, we must do it. So it’s been a little hard trying to fit the blog back into my regular life, especially with my two new 8 week old puppies. Back when I was at my mom’s house I didn’t have to cook dinner every day, the house keeper did. So I only cooked at my leisure for the blog. Now that I have a home and a husband I am cooking alllllllll the time and most times I have to cook separately for the blog hence the delay.

Today is  one of those days where I was determined to let the blog recipe double as dinner. This rice is extremely delicious. My ackee was totally mushed out but it was no fault of my own. I used precooked frozen ackee that was already mushy before I used it in the recipe. Canned ackee or freshly cooked ackee would most definitely hold firm in the rice. Never the less, the flavor is on point. The one thing I forgot to add to this was pumpkin, but you can’t win them all on the first try.




Ingredients (printable recipe)

2 tablespoon coconut oil
½ cup tomato chopped
½ cup onion chopped
½ teaspoon curry powder
2 cups cooked ackee
3 cups coconut milk
1 cup water
2 ½ teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 large stalk Scallion
3 sprigs Thyme
1 teaspoon Allspice
2 ½ cup Basmati rice
1 tablespoon coconut oil

Instruction

  • Add coconut oil to a deep pot once it’s hot add curry powder, tomatoes and onions
  • Sauté until the onions begin to soften then add the ackee
  • Cook for a while allowing the ackee absorb some flavors
  • To the ackee add the coconut milk, water, salt, sugar, scallion, thyme, allspice and coconut oil and bring to a boil
  • Add the clean washed rice to the pot on high heat allow the rice to absorb some of the moisture
  • When it looks like the rice is absorbed into most of the rice, seal with foil over the top of the pot, and cover cook on a very low flame and let it steam for 20 min
  • Turn off the heat and let it rest still covered for another 10 minutes
  • Remove the cover and the foil, take out the scallion stalks
  • Using a fork fluff the rice so that the grains separate and are fluffy
  • Serve hot



That's Dino on the left and Zevi on the right



Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment