Monday 21 September 2020

Blackcurrant Ribena Jam


Cranberry who?

This Jam came out of nowhere. I had no idea we had a blackcurrant tree. My mom came in the kitchen Friday morning asking me If I knew the Ribena tree was loaded. I was like, the Ribena who? I promptly took a stroll to the front yard with Lizzie to have a look and a taste. That bite was intense. Imagine the driest, sour, tartest cranberry you ever had, and times it by 100. That is what this tasted like, I was shook, but intrigued. I knew Saturday morning this had to become a jam.

 In my family, we are no strangers to Ribena the juice. It’s my younger brother's favorite drink. Even as an adult, whenever he visits Jamaica my mom has to buy the syrup so he can mix his juice when he likes. I will say, all my years of drinking Ribena did not prepare me for the taste of the blackcurrant. I mean cranberry juice is tart, so having the fruit and it being tart isn’t a shocker. But Ribena the juice isn’t tart in the least, it's pleasantly sweet. So, I took a huge bite into this dark purple, juicy, ripe berry only to spit it out immediately. Not only that, but lizzie was also clamoring to get a hold of one to eat as well. But her little toddler taste buds were not ready.

 I have made quite a few jams in my lifetime, not on canning levels. But a mason jar here and there for family use stored in the refrigerator. So this recipe won't give you 12 jars of jam. It will make one 10 oz jar, for you to store in your refrigerator as well. If you are an experienced canner and know how to jar it for shelf storage, then you can do just that. This was one of the easiest jams I’ve ever made, but I say that every time I make a jam.  It has the most intense vivid purple color imaginable. No blackberry or blueberry in my experience has ever had such a vivid color after becoming a jam.

 It was delicious. The flavor is complex; sweet, sour, tart, it almost has a ‘stainy’ taste left on the palette at the end. I can’t say how much I think this would be perfect on a charcuterie board. Paired with crackers, veggies, smoked cheese, and meats. Next time I make this I may add some aromatics like cinnamon, rosemary  or ginger. For this first attempt, I wanted to keep the flavor clean. So, I know what the black currant taste like. Now that that is under my belt we can start experimenting.

 


Ingredients (printable recipe)

2 ¼ cup black currants
1 ½ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon lime zest
 

Instructions

  • Wash black currants, strain remove stems, and add to a pot with sugar
  • Place on high heat and allow the sugar to melt stirring constantly
  • One the sugar is melted and starting to heat up reduce the flames to medium-low and allow the berries to cook in the sugar
  • Once it starts to foam up and start to bubble use a potato masher and mash all the berries
  • let it cook for another 20 minutes stirring occasionally
  • Add the lime zest and stir
  • Test the temp, you want it to be around 218 to 220 the jam will be liquidly
  • Strain and remove the seeds, but keep all the pulp
  • Pour into a sterilized jar and allow to cool, as it cools it thickens
  • Store in the refrigerator.

 Greedy Tips:

  • Yes three ingredients and no water, sugar is a wet ingredient so most times if a jam uses a huge amount of sugar there is no need for water.
  • I did not use a thermometer in making this. I do not own an instant-read, so I used my judgment and experience in making jam. If you are unsure make sure to use an instant-read thermometer.
  • Do not add the lime or lemon juice only the zest. It's for added flavor the juice would make an already sour fruit even more sour.



Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment