Friday 23 February 2018

Regular degular shmegular Potato salad



Brunch knows best

Who wants potato salad? That’s the line my sister says in a family home video we have. She was walking around with a fork full taunting me as I set the table. It was a Sunday dinner tradition. My mother used to throw down every Sunday. She is the reason my sister is absolutely obsessed with potato salad. So while I am setting the table (by climbing on top of it) my sister would taste the potato salad. No Sunday dinner, potluck, bbq or brunch is complete without it.

When it comes to potato salad, I like my eggs in the mayo, not boiled and cut up in the salad. I must admit as a child I adored the cold bits of chopped up egg whites and the texture it had next to the mushy potatoes. But the older I get the idea of cold eggs has just gotten less and less appealing. Feel free to add eggs to this if your heart desires, but I kept it basic today.

There is a thin line between macaroni salad and potato salad and to be honest my recipes are pretty much interchangeable for both. The major difference with potato salad vs macaroni salad for me, is that in a potato salad I like my onions and sweet peppers chopped, while in a macaroni salad I want them shredded. I like that with each bite of the mushy potatoes you get a lovely crunch from the onions and sweet peppers. However, in a macaroni salad I like when all the seasoning disappears into the dressing and coat the macaroni. Either way its still good. Once it sets overnight the next morning it is just perfection.

For a smokey spicy pumpkin potato salad, click here
For a mayo-less sweet potato salad click here




Ingredients (printable recipe)

5 large potatoes cooked in salted water
For the dressing
1.5 cup good mayo
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon sweet relish
¼ cup Carrot shredded
¼ cup red Onion chopped
¼ cup chopped scallion
¼ cup sweet pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves shredded
¼ teaspoon celery salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
¼ teaspoon black pepper


Instructions

  • Peel and chop the potatoes in to 1 to 2 inch cubes
  • Boil the potato in salted water. The water should taste salty, if you boil the potatoes in water that is fresh the potato salad will be bland
  • Cook until soft and just starting to break apart
  • Strain and rinse in cool water, completely cool the potatoes. Pop the bowl in a freezer for 10 minutes, that usually does the trick
  • In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the dressing
  • Stir the cold potatoes and mix thoroughly slightly mashing while mixing
  • You want to have a mix of whole pieces and mashed
  • Place in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour, overnight is best
  • Serve cold





Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment