Saturday 6 June 2020

Nutella filled banana bread muffins, with Pistachio streusel.




"Quarantine Cooking"



My sister said, what is it about being stuck at home that makes you want to bake? My answer to that was I do not know. But I for one am in the mood to just cook and bake up a storm. I am even contemplating making some doughnuts and bagels. This banana bread is a quick tweak to my existing chocolate chip banana bread recipe. If you got that recipe down pact, then all you must do is top it with some streusel and you are good to go.


This blog post is long overdue. I have had the images and the recipe written but could not find the time to write my random thought to go with it. I wrote that intro for this post in the heights of the stay at home/ work from home orders. Now the country is slowly starting to reopen. June 1st the work from home orders was lifted and June 15 mandatory quarantine will also be done away with and persons may start to reenter the country. Am I cooking less? No way, still cooking daily. Do I still want those homemade doughnuts and bagels? Absolutely, I’m just mulling over what flavor to make them, or what special twist I am going to do. Thanks to my little one-year-old Lizzie, I am still on a stay at home orders, So quarantine cooking ain't over for me.

For this banana bread, it’s what you would expect from any quality banana bread recipe. It’s a sweet, moist, intensely banana-flavored muffin of goodness, elevated a few levels to include an ooey-gooey Nutella filled center and an ultra-crunchy streusel top. I had some pistachios leftover from a honey roasted pistachio ice-cream I made so I decided pistachios would make the perfect topping for these muffins. Feel free to use cashews, peanuts, or whatever nut you have. They all will work. You don’t have to use coconut oil; you can use melted butter or any other oil. However, I highly recommend using virgin cold-pressed coconut oil. For a few years now I have stopped using butter for banana bread and opt for coconut oil. For me, it just adds a nice toasted nutty element and yields an ultra-moist cake. To be honest in general, Cold-pressed virgin coconut oil should be used for everything, it’s just so good. Well here ends my random thoughts…. see the recipe below



Ingredients (printable recipe)

4  super ripe bananas
¾ cup of coconut oil
1 ¼ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
½ cup buttermilk
¾ cup Nutella
For the streusel
½  stick cold butter
½  cup flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup Salted Pistachios


Greedy Tips:

  • Make sure to fill the cupcakes almost to the top before adding the Nutella. I added mine at the halfway point and you can see they sunk a bit.
  • I recommend having one muffin with no Nutella in the center to be used as a tester. So you can check for doneness on that muffin. 


Instructions

For the pistachio streusel
  • In a food processor combine the flour, butter, brown sugar and pistachios
  • Blend until it resembles breadcrumbs

For the muffins
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  • Wash and peel the bananas
  • Place in a bowl and mash into a fine paste
  • In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon
  • In a mixer cream together the sugar coconut oil and salt
  • After 5 minutes add the eggs and vanilla
  • Once the egg is incorporated add the bananas
  • Add half the flour mixture and half the milk and mix until it comes together then add the remaining milk and flour and continue to mix until everything is combined and there are no flour streaks
  • Place muffin batter in lined muffin tins about 3/4 of the way up,  add a spoon of Nutella then cover with more batter
  • Repeat for all muffins except one, Fill one muffin with the only batter no Nutella this will be the tester muffin. 
  • sprinkle a hearty amount of streusel to the tops of the batter
  • Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the tester muffin comes out clean.
  • Allow them to cool slightly before serving.
  • Once cooled store in an airtight container to the streusel remains crunchy. 










Xoxo Greedygirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment