Friday 8 November 2013

Smashed potato




"Christmas is coming"



I love instagram, you get so many ideas from this lovely app full of pictures posted by absolute strangers who you pretty much have accepted into your social media family. You see, I was all set to make my garlic roasted Irish potatoes, the same potatoes I make every Christmas and most sit down dinners. Its quick, easy and yummy. Then in scrolling the feeds I see hassleback potatoes and quickly the menu changed. This greedy girl was all set to make her own version of hasslebacks (another item on my cooking bucket list yet to be crossed off) Then in scrolling the feeds (again) I see smashed potatoes, here is where the internal struggle began, I’ve seen smashed potatoes done a few times on food network, but it never really grabbed me, and the hassleback thing I have been wanting to do for so long.  

 I went to the grocery store in search of Irish potatoes, truly undecided as to which potato dish I would make. By the way, In Jamaica we call all white potatoes ‘Irish’ and I have no idea why, in any case they had none. Then I remembered a few weeks back in another supermarket the produce guy told me that there is a shortage of potatoes currently in the island and they are hard to find. So right away hasslebacks were thrown out the gate, even though both recipes called for Irish potatoes, the smashed potato recipe I had in mind translated better using sweet potatoes.   I loaded up on the smallest sweet potatoes they had and headed home. 

The sweet potatoes we get in Jamaica are the dark red skinned ones with the yellow flesh. They take a bit longer to cook than white potatoes and are very sweet and very fibrous. I have never made them this way before, and quite frankly, I don’t think I’ll make them any other way. Normally when we make sweet potatoes we foil them and bake in the oven. But they can get so dry and trashy and most times they end up not being eaten. But boiling them first adds moisture and then baking them with the added flavorings brings the crispy crunch. So yummy, the rosemary and the garlic on these make them a winner with a capital W. A new favorite is in town. I just need this Irish potato shortage to be over so I can really start smashing potatoes. 




Serves 5


10 small sweet potatoes
2 parsley herb butter cubes
2 rosemary herb butter cubes
3 cloves garlic
½ tsp salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2-3 tbsp. oil for drizzling

Herb butter cubes (printable recipe) 







Greedy tips: 

  • Sweet potatoes tend to be larger, if you can’t find small ones, just cut them; you want the size of each piece to be roughly 1 to 2 golf ball sizes
  • You need to completely cook the potatoes by boiling before attempting to smash
  • And make sure to be generous with the oil drizzle, this helps the potatoes crisp up and get brown
  • Bake them in a 450 degree oven until golden


Xoxo Greedygirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment