Tuesday 12 November 2013

Egg nog Ice-cream




"Christmas is coming"

 So I recently just learned that my mother is not superwoman. My mother, sister and I were casually talking about the recipes I would be making for November. I mentioned egg nog ice-cream, then my sister and I began to regale her about how much we loved her egg nog as kids, and asking what’s her recipe, come to find out she purchased canned egg nog! All these years I was here thinking my mom made the best egg-nog, turns out its, store bought Ha Ha! Well it was quite the revelation; I began to wonder what other tricks she had up her sleeve.
Interestingly enough the last time I drank egg nog I was around 10 years old, I learned from my  friend Ebony that the drink contained egg yolks and I never drank it again. I guess it was  hard to digest the thought of drinking egg yolks at 10 years old. However we really did love it as kids before Ebony ruined it for me (its amazing the things we remember). 

Now if you have made egg nog from scratch at any point in your life, you have made ice-cream, because the ice cream base is basically the drink, down to the method is exactly the same. You just need to cool the mixture and dump it in an ice-cream maker and let it go to town.  It’s a very simple recipe and technique. Egg based ice-creams are always rich and creamy, this one is no different.  

Egg nog is signature for its heavily laden alcohol flavor. Generally speaking, alcohol and ice-cream don’t really mix well in terms of freezing points. Because alcohol does not freeze it tends to make ice-cream melt really fast and take longer to harden. That did not stop me from lacing this mixture with a 1/2 cup of over proof white rum.  Most recipes use artificial rum flavoring but I just don’t think those things taste as good as the real thing. I cant lie, I kinda over did it. I made sure to add the rum to the custard and milk base at the cooking stage, so I was able to cook some of it out while still maintaining a very strong flavor.  And by strong I mean strong!!!!!!



Ingredients (Printable recipe)

4-6 egg yolks
2 cup milk
1 ¾   cup cream
¾ cup white sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
½ vanilla bean stalk
½ tsp. Nutmeg
1 Cinnamon stick
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ cup over proof white rum or brandy




Instructions 

  • In a mixer whisk egg yolks and sugar until it looks pale yellow and light
  • While that is mixing, in a pan warm the milk, nutmeg, vanilla extract , vanilla bean, ground cinnamon, cinnamon stick and nutmeg, do not boil, warm slowly on a low/medium heat
  • Slowly add some of this warm mixture to the whipped yolk and sugar to temper the eggs without scrambling them
  • Pour the tempered egg mixture back into the spiced milk on the flames, add rum, cook until thick, (apx 2 minutes) do not boil
  • Once it’s thickened, remove from the heat stir in the cream.
  • Allow the mixture to cool and then place in a seal-able container in the fridge over night
  • The next morning strain the liquid to get a smooth base, remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean stick (grate just a bit of the soaked cinnamon stick in the base before discarding it)
  • Churn in your ice-cream maker until it’s like a soft serve ice cream, cover with plastic wrap and place your church bucket back in the freezer for 4 hours best over night to allow the ice-cream to harden. 
  •  
     

     
I normally make my ice creams egg free, because its a bit easier to eliminate the beating and tempering stage. However I was reading a blog and the person said once you make an egg based ice cream you will never go back. And my friends, I think they might be right, its so much smoother and creamier than my usual mix. This stuff is so delicious, very boozy the rum really stands out. Pops said  "one full cup a dis an u stagga a road" :) But since its the holidays I didn't alter the recipe, ill let you decide how much rum you want in your egg-nog ice cream.   


Greedy tips:

  • Make sure to leave the vanilla bean pod and the cinnamon stick in the base to soak overnight.
  • I would have used 6 egg yolks however we were out of eggs and only had 4
  • If you don’t want it too rummy only use ¼ cup of Rum/Brandy but if you are ready for a kick, try it with the half cup. 
  • If you have egg allergies, or you just don't eat eggs at all, click this link to see an ice-cream recipe with no eggs. 
  •  I use the Cuisinart ice-cream and sorbet maker. 
  • Normally you would transfer the ice-cream to another container but its best to leave this one in the churn bucket to keep it as cold as possible. Because of the alcohol, the ice-cream melts much slower when in the bucket rather than in another container. (this rule does not apply to egg free, alcohol free home made ice-cream left in the churn bucket that mix gets rock solid)
Jamaican over-proof white rum is no Joke, that's all I have to say about that.

Shopping:

One of the simplest icecream makers ive ever use, and it can never hurt to have an extra bowl so you can make two flavors at once!



Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment