Tuesday 13 October 2015

Beef and rice stuffed pumpkin


“Pumpkin Everythang”


This is delicious beef seasoned rice baked in a sweet Jamaican pumpkin. The most beautiful pumpkin I have ever made, stuffed with rice, beef, raisins and so much flavor. It’s so easy and it looks so posh and sophisticated. This is how everyone needs to serve rice on thanksgiving. It’s such a statement. And who doesn’t love edible bowls?
 
Before I get to this awesome pumpkin, can I just say how you guys almost did not get this recipe due to the fact that yesterday my laptop charger decided to give up on life? I have been using a Samsung laptop for the last three years with no battery (after one year the battery decided it would no longer hold a charge) no biggie I don’t Travel with my laptop any way. I always use it in the comfort of my home always plugged in. However when you have emails to check, work to do, photos to edit, recipes to write and that charger decides to give out mid-skype convo then it’s a problem. It’s not like I’m in NY and can just run to Best Buy and get a new Charger. I had to wait until this morning to get a new charger and battery. By the Grace of God My tech guy had a charger and battery for sale. H it not been for him I would be royally screwed.

So back to the recipe: We were shopping in Price Smart when I went over to the pumpkin area and got the most beautiful slice of the brightest orange pumpkin. I planned to use it for a few recipes. Upon walking out I realized they also sell whole pumpkins. A very large box filled with all kinds of gourdes but this cutie pie pumpkin really caught my eye. I thought it was the most adorable thing I have ever seen. Most of the pumpkins sold in Jamaica are the green skinned variety, very similar to the look of a watermelon. So this one really stood out to me and I had to have it. It was the perfect size, not to big not too small. I wish I hate took note of the weight, but if I had to guess I would say it was between 2-3 pounds. It’s so delicious definitely making this again, maybe with different flavored rice


Ingredients (printable recipe)

For the pumpkin
1 whole pumpkin
1 tablespoon oil
3 pinches of salt
2 pinches of black pepper
For the stuffing
2 teaspoon coconut oil
½ cup onions
¼ cup sweet peppers
¼ cup carrots
¾ lb ground beef
1 ½ teaspoon ( or Salt to taste)
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
¾ cup rice
2 cups water
¼ cup raisins

Instructions


  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Wash and dry the pumpkin, slice the top off and scoop out all the seeds
  • Add salt black pepper and oil to the pumpkin rubbing it all over the insides and edges
  • Place pumpkin (top and body )cut side down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 35 minutes
  • In a saucepan head the oil, add onions sweet pepper and carrots cook to soften
  • Add beef cook constantly stirring until the beef turns gray
  • Stir in the rice salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, coat all the rice grains with the oil from the pot
  • Add the water and raisins, reduce heat to low cover and simmer until the rice grains are 90 percent cooked
  • Once the grains are almost cooked, remove the pumpkin from the oven and fill with the rice/beef mixture
  • Cover the top of the pumpkin with foil and put back the pumpkin  (body only) Steam cook the rice in the bumpkin belly for another 15 minutes
  • Remove from the oven allow to rest and serve. 










Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment