Tuesday 9 August 2016

Not your mamas chicken roulade!


Fowl 


It’s been a while since I made something fun and crazy. I figured if I’m going to step outside the box chicken month might just be the month to do it. Chicken, juicy sausage and cheese, if you don’t like any of those three ingredients this is not the post for you. Probably the most success I have ever had stuffing cheese into chicken. I usually end up with a deep fryer full of burnt cheese but not today!


 I struggled with what to call this dish first up was “Chicken sausage and cheese roulade” works, after all that’s exactly what it is. Then I thought fancy “crispy sausage provolone and chicken roulade” that felt way too long and my sister is constantly attacking me for long names of my recipes. So I said let me think basic like she wants me to, “Fried chicken roulade” hell no. I even went for “Pigs in a new blanket” :) really! Ultimately I wanted a name that says this isn’t a normal chicken roulade, it certainly aint your mothers.

It’s a recipe I can guarantee everyone would like, well I can’t actually guarantee but I’m pretty sure it would be a hit. I think a whole roulade per person could be a bit much in terms of filling; but if you have a large appetite why not. You could also slice them and stick with toothpicks and serve as appetizers. I got 6 decent sized slices from each of my roulades.

This recipe is good! It’s all that, flavorful, plus a bag of chips a soda and tax isn’t even included yet; it’s that good. However even as good as it is I think my laziness prevented it from being great. The only thing this lacked was some kind of vegetable or herb element. If you …yes you… if you’re going to make this roast some red and green peppers maybe one of each, after you roast them n removed the charred skin, stem and seeds, put them in a blender with 1 garlic clove and half a small onion. Blend into a paste then spread the paste on the chicken after its seasoned, then add the cheese sausage and proceed as normal. That’s what this roulade needed to be great.




Ingredients (Printable recipe)

6 skinless boneless chicken thighs
1 ½ sausage large sausage links (I used bad dawg sausages)
3 slices of provolone cheese
2-3pinches of salt per roulade
2 pinches black pepper per roulade
¼ teaspoon onion powder per roulade
¼ teaspoon all spice powder per roulade
2 beaten eggs
1 ½ cup flour
1 ½ cup panko bread crumbs
Oil for deep frying

Instructions


  • Remove as much fat from the chicken thighs as possible, wash and dry completely
  • Take two thigh pieces (smooth side up, and by smooth side I am referring to what was the skin side) overlap them slightly and beat them with a mallet until they are as thin as possible without too much tearing
  • Season with salt, black pepper, onion powder and allspice
  • Place a slice of provolone cheese in the center
  • Place half of a sausage link on the cheese
  • Roll it up tightly tucking in the sides of the chicken to seal in the sausage and cheese completely
  • Roll the whole thing tightly in a plastic wrap twisting the edges, freeze for 45 mins to an hour to slightly harden
  • You do not want this to freeze to rock solid, just until it’s slightly firm to the touch,
  • Preheat the oil to around 370/375
  • Remove the roulades from the freezer remove the plastic and roll in a layer of flour, then dip into the beaten egg then panko bread crumbs
  • Make sure to roll as much bread crumbs into the roulade as possible especially on the two ends
  • Place in the fryer and fry for apx 12-15 minutes making sure to turn constantly for even coloring.
  • Remove from the heat and allow it to rest for about 2 to 3 minutes before slicing and serving
Greedy tips:
  • For more cheesiness you could do two slices of provolone per roulade instead of one
  • You can also use chicken breast instead of boneless thighs












 Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment