Monday 14 June 2021

Thai Meatball quinoa bowl

 


One big bowl of Protein!

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to flavor town. From the meatballs to the sauce, to the charred veggies to the quinoa, it's just one big bowl of healthy deliciousness. keep reading for more.

I have been trying to incorporate healthy meals into my diet. So I figure I might as well post these healthy recipes to the blog since I’m cooking it anyway. I don’t know if you guys know Marion’s Kitchen, she is the queen of Asian flavors and I follow her on Instagram and just drool over her recipes. If you don’t know who she is, get to know her. She made a Thai beef salad using palm sugar and lime and fish sauce and I just knew that would be delicious, so I made sure to head over to amazon and order me some palm sugar.

The sauce in this recipe is a kind of variation on the sauce she used in her recipe, mine has a bit more ingredients, but let me tell you!! it is delicious. I think Palm sugar is the most delicious thing. It’s made from coconuts. It reminds me of the old school candy that they use to sell after church when we were kids. Nutty, grainy, not overly sweet simply perfect. It adds a nice flavor that I don’t think brown sugar can compete with. However, if you don’t have palm sugar for sure some brown sugar will do the trick.

I would say this is a great dinner to make for a meal-prep week. The grilled veggies pack so much flavor, the meatballs are flavorful and have on real added fat since it baked or air fried. The quinoa is also a flavor powerhouse. My only fault with the quinoa is that I couldn’t taste the cilantro as much as I would have liked and I used ¼ cup chopped. I maybe would use a bit more next time. But this recipe is another keeper, I've already made the sauce again with some grilled bok choy. If you are vegetarian you could even skip the meatballs and do the grilled veggies and quinoa and it would still slap!



serves 4-6

Ingredients (Printable recipe)
 
For the Quinoa
2 cup quinoa
4 cup coconut milk
6 kaffir lime leaves
1 tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
¼ cup chopped cilantro
For the meatballs
10 oz ground beef
1 tablespoon mala spice mix or all-purpose seasoning
2 garlic cloves shredded
¼ cup shredded onion
1 egg
For the sauce
2 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon onion-flavored soy or light soy sauce
½ lime juice
1.5 teaspoon fish sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the other ingredients
1 cut red onion sliced
1 head bok choy
2 tablespoon oil
 
 
Directions
 
For the quinoa

  • Wash the quinoa thoroughly and strain away all the excess water
  • In a deep pot add the coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, salt coconut oil, and sugar
  • add the quinoa over high heat and bring to a boil
  • once it's boiling reduce the heat to very low cover and allow it to cook for 20 minutes
  • after 20 minutes turn off the heat and leave it to steam for 10 minutes
  • remove the kaffir lime leaves and stir in fresh chopped cilantro and set aside
For the meatballs
  • Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs and form into balls
  • spray with cooking spray and place in an oven or air fryer at 350 for 25 minutes turning halfway through.
For the sauce and veggies
  • In a bowl shred the palm sugar
  • Combine with sesame oil, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes and set aside.
  • Cut off the bottom of the bok choy and wash thoroughly and dry the leaves
  • Slice the red onion into thick slices.
  • toss the bok Choy leaves and red onion slices in oil
  • Place on a hot grill and grill for a few seconds per side. Do not allow the leaves to char too much.
  • After you get some grill marks on them flip to the other side and then remove from the heat and place in a bowl
  • Chop into bite-sized pieces (I find it easier to use a kitchen sheer)
  • Pour half the sauce over the grilled veggies and the other half over the meatballs.
  • Serve quinoa topped with meatballs grilled veggies and sauce




XOXO Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment