Tuesday 10 March 2015

Creamy shrimp scampi pasta


Something Smells Fishy...


Shrimp scampi is one of my favorites, it’s no secret. Ever since I saw Tyler Florence make it on Food network and realized it was so easy to make I was hooked. I have made it countless times over the last seven years. It’s the first video recipe I ever posted and the most popular recipe on my youtube channel with over 18,000 views. Most recently I began making it onto a one pot meal by adding cream and pasta. So I figured I would share the recipe with you all.

Tossing some cream and pasta with scampi is not a novel idea. However the though did come to me on one of the many occasions where we spooned the shrimp scampi on top of mac and cheese (epic combo). I figured it’s really good with the pasta, so why not just combine the two. The recipe is almost exactly the same as the shrimp scampi, it’s just that there needs to be more liquid in order to create enough sauce to coat the pasta. And I use way more parsley for the pasta than I do when I just make the shrimp alone. I have made this using spaghetti, farfalle and penne. Any pasta will work so you can use your favorite. 



Ingredients (printable recipe)

1lb shrimp deveined
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Drizzle of oil
1 shallot finely chopped
5 garlic cloves sliced
2 garlic cloves shredded
4 tablespoon butter
1 cup white wine
1 ½ cup cream
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ lime (juice)
1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
1 box pasta cooked
(2 sachet of hidden valley ranch dressing mix optional)

Instructions

  • Wash, dry and season shrimp with salt black pepper and oil (or 1 sachet of hidden valley ranch dressing mix and oil)
  • Melt two tablespoon of butter with two table spoon of oil in a saucepan
  • Add the shallots and garlic slices sauté for a few minutes until fragrant
  • Add the shrimp and cook for a total of 1 minute per side, stir everything up and remove from heat and set aside
  • In the same pan melt the remaining butter and oil, once melted add the wine, salt, black pepper, lime juice and sugar, bring to a boil. (or 1 sachet of hidden valley ranch dressing mix to replace the salt)
  • Once it is boiling add the cream and allow the sauce to thicken
  • Once the sauce is thick stir in the chopped parsley and shredded garlic
  • Finally add the sauté shrimp mixture back to the cream sauce then add in the cooked pasta stir and serve.




Greedy Tips:


  • You can have the tails on or off the shrimp. I normally remove the tails when I mix pasta with shrimp but its optional.
  • The less pasta you add the creamier your dish will be, the more pasta you add the more it soaks up the sauce. So judge it accordingly.
  • Link to the original shrimp scampi recipe
  • As usual you can use two sachets of hidden valley ranch seasoning to replace the salt for a more "authentic" scampi taste (see instructions)

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment