Tuesday 26 May 2015

Spinach & turmeric omelette with caramelized onions




The best way to eat an egg!

Today you can call me Sam-I-am, because I am encouraging everyone to try these green eggs. Dr. Seuss may be disappointed that I left off the ham but the yummy caramelized onions and turmeric will make everyone happy.


Did I say turmeric? Yes there is also turmeric root in this yummy omelette. I made this recipe while on vacation in Ocho rios. I really took a chance depending on a supermarket I knew nothing off to provide the goods for this recipe. However I was pleasantly surprised to find spinach and little bags of a ginger looking item they labeled as curry.

I was like curry? What the hell is that? You know I had to buy it. Took it to the apartment, googled it and found out it was turmeric root. How exciting, I easily decided to throw it in the omelette as well. Its smell is very strong and the color stains everything so beware. However the omlette was absolutely divine, especially with the sweet caramelized onions and cheese in the center. You can truly taste the spinach it the omelette, extremely prevalent, which is exactly what I was after.

Ingredients (printable recipe)
Makes two omelettes

1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
3 whole eggs
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Black pepper
1 ounce Turmeric
3 Garlic cloves
1 cup Spinach leaves
2 ounce shredded cheese

Caramelized onions
1 tablespoon coconut oil
½ teaspoon salt
2 medium onions
1 teaspoon sugar
Water for de-glazing

Instructions
For the Quick caramelized onions

  • Slice onions
  • Sauté in oil until it begins to brown stir constantly med/high heat
  • Sprinkle with salt and continue to stir
  • Once it starts to stick and brown add a little water to deglaze the pan along with the sugar
  • Repeat the process of deglazing when the pan has dried the onions out and adding water and simmering
  • Do this until the onions have reached your desired color and consistency
  • Takes approximately 15 minutes 
  •  In case you have no idea what I'm talking about click here

For the eggs

  • In a bender add the eggs, egg whites, spinach, turmeric, garlic, salt and black pepper
  • Blend until smooth
  • Heat the oil or butter in a pan and add the egg mixture
  • Push the eggs on the edges towards the middle and allow the runny center to go to the edges (see here)
  • Lower heat and cover allowing the top of the eggs to cook
  • Once the top is cooked flip over and add the cheese and caramelized onions to the center
  • Fold over and serve








Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment