Friday 11 September 2015

Fettuccine alfredo with thyme roasted pearl onions



I love Pasta


Fettuccine alfredo a classic dish amped up with lots of parsley some fresh basil and the most delicious thyme roasted pearl onions ever. This is a great recipe for both adults and kids I whipped this one up really quickly this morning.

Since my life is currently at capacity and I have no time to do the most basic of things I will be a bit discombobulated for the next two weeks.  Today should have been a video post but I had ZERO time to film this week so today we have a written post no video :( But on the bright side I am aiming for two videos next week to make up for it…the operative word being aiming, since at this moment in time I have more things to film and cook than I like the wrap my head around, but in the words of Tim Gun make it work!

I literally woke up, charged my camera’s battery, cooked this recipe and am blogging about it. It was that easy to make. If you look in the dictionary beside the word ‘Easy’ you will find this recipe…trite? Yeah I know. But it had to be said! The fact that I woke up this morning whipped it up in less than 35 minutes and it looks like it took hours is nothing short of a culinary miracle. So many are the reasons why I love pasta.

This pasta will be our dinner/lunch or whatever for today going to pair it with a simple honey glazed salmon later. Right now I’m trying to finish this post and head out the door rushing to do the next thing on my laundry list of life activities…please try this dish…its yummy!



Ingredients (printable recipe)

For the pearl onions
2 cups peeled pearl onions
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
For the pasta
4 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon flour
1 ½ cup heavy cream
½ cup milk
5 oz shredded parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
5 cloves shredded garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 box fettuccine pasta

Instructions

  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and set a pot of salted water to boil

For the onions
  • Peel the pearl onions and on a baking sheet toss them in thyme leaves salt and oil
  • Place in the hot oven to roast periodically shaking the sheet pan to rotate the onions so they brown on all sides. 
  • Remove from the oven when golden brown on all sides
For the sauce
  • Melt the butter in a pot and add the flour cook for 1-2 minutes
  • Add the cream and milk stir until any lumps have dissolved and let it cook until it begins to thicken
  • Add the parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and basil
  • Once the cheese has melted the sauce will be even thicker add the salt sugar and garlic stir to incorporate
  • Stir in the roasted pearl onion (optional set aside a few for a garnish)
For the pasta Cook until al dente then either…
  • 1 Strain the cooked pasta with a slotted spoon in small batches and add directly to the sauce (this works best if your pasta and sauce are finished cooking at the same time)
  • 2 strain the pasta in sink using a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process, strain away all the excess water before adding the pasta to the sauce ( if your sauce is not ready and your pasta is ready you should do this method to avoid over cooking the pasta)





Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment