Tuesday 29 July 2014

Stolen Mango Moscato


Cool it down



My sister and her boyfriend went to 689 in Kingston and returned raving about two things. A drink they had and oxtail lasagna. She knew I was in the middle of drink month and demanded I recreate the drink they had and loved. She made sure to ask the bartender what the drink consisted of, and the rest was left to me to figure out. So I have never tasted the original and I blindly attempted a copycat recipe of a drink I didn’t know the name of…turned out pretty good.


It did help quite a bit that there were only three ingredients; mango syrup, moscato and ginger ale. While grocery shopping, no surprise we couldn’t find mango syrup. We headed to the spirits section to see if we could find mango liquor, no luck. Now I was ready to find a substitute but my sister was not having it. I ultimately had to make my own mango syrup from a single mango we had left at home (thank God).

The syrup was not as hard to make as you would think, pretty easy and very mango-y. However just for ease of preparation I would have preferred a store bought syrup or liquor, just so I would not have to cook anything. All in all it really was a good drink. I really need to try the original to see how close I really did come flavor wise. My sister, the judge gave it very high marks. She said the drink was pretty much exactly the same; all she needed was her oxtail lasagna. Her only qualm was that I may have put a 'tups' too much moscato, so I tweaked the recipe for you guys below. 


Serves 2

Ingredients (printable recipe)

¾ cup moscato (chilled)
¼ cup mango syrup
1¼  cup ginger ale (chilled)
2 tablespoon pink mango syrup (see below)

Mango syrup
1 mango
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup water
Red food coloring

Instructions:


  • Peel the mango and cut into small cubes
  • Place the mango cubes, the mango seed, sugar and water in a pot and bring to boil
  • After 5 minutes pour the liquid and the mango cubes in a blender and puree (leave the seed in the pot)
  • Pour the puree back into the pot and cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until it is very thick
  • Strain the liquid into a bowl and allow to completely cool before using in the drink.  You should end up with almost a half cup of syrup.
  • Mix the moscato and syrup together in a cup or jug until the syrup has dissolved
  • Add the ginger ale and stir
  • Take some red food coloring and mix with the remaining mango syrup, spoon the syrup neatly into the bottom of the serving glass
  • Pour the drink along the sides of the glass so the mango moscato settles on top of the pink syrup without mixing 
  • drink up!
Home made Mango Syrup



Cheers to the end of July, my month of yummy refreshing drink recipes. 

In case you missed it...




Blueberry Mojito


 



Yummy Long island iced tea


 



Cherry ginger spritz


 



Pina colada mojito


 


Jamaican Lemonade



 


Frozen Peach Belini



 


 Strawberry mint daiquiri



 


Apple Kiwi Kooler








Xoxo Greedygirl


No comments:

Post a Comment